The course is intended to generate discussion about the nature and purposes of teaching History. In general terms it aims to:
• Ensure continued debate about the importance of studying History, its integrity as a subject and its place within the curriculum
• Develop subject expertise and facilitate the sharing of good practice in the teaching of History
• Highlight the value of History in giving students a better understanding of the Nigeria in a global context, and of their own place within it
• Develop in teachers the confidence to introduce students, whatever their background or ability, to challenging texts and materials and difficult problems in order to promote interest in the subject, intellectual independence and critical thinking
• Encourage and support teachers in their efforts to make a difference in their own schools through the introduction and implementation of ideas encountered in the course.
Main Objectives of Teaching History
Teaching of history enables the students to achieve various instructional objectives in an hierarchical manner.
The students acquire knowledge of various terms, concepts, events, ideas, problems personalities and principles related to the study of history. They:-
• Recall facts, events, years and terms etc.
• Recognize facts, events, concepts, years etc.
• Read the information presented in different forms, and
• Show information on maps, charts, diagrams etc.
The students develop an understanding of terms, facts, events, years, principles etc. related to the study of history. They:-
• Classify facts, events, terms, concepts etc.
• Compare and contrast the events, trends, concepts etc.
• Discriminate between the significant and the silly matters,
• Illustrated events, principles by citing examples,
• Identify the relationship between causes and effects etc.
• Detect errors in the statement and rectify,
• Arrange facts etc. in a particular known order, and
• Interpret the maps, charts etc. from the source of history.
The students develop the ability of critical and logical thinking. They:
• Identify the problems;
• Analyse the problems;
• Select relevant facts, principles etc.
• Establish relationships;
• Advance arguments in support of or against an issue;
• Draw inferences and conclusions;
• Verify the inferences; and
The pupils develop practical skills helpful in the study and understanding of historical events. They:
• Draw historical maps, charts, diagrams etc.
• Prepare models, tools etc.
The students develop interests in the study of history and activities relating to history. They:
• Collect ancient arts, old coins and other historical materials;
• Participate in historical drama and historical occasions;
• Visit places of historical interests, archaeological sites, museums and archives;
• Read historical documents, maps, charts etc.
• Play active roles in the activities of the historical organizations and associations; and
• Write articles on historical topics.
The students develop favourable attitudes and them:
• Show respect towards other peoples, ways of life, ideas etc.,
• Know about other religions and faiths;
• Establish friendship with other peoples;
• Practice the noble religions and their principles;
• Cooperate with others in social and historical activities;
• Appreciate cultural differences; and
• Believe in the equality of man irrespective of caste, class, creed, colour and religion.
On the whole, general aims along with objectives can be realized through the teaching of history with the active interest, sincerity, competence and skilful teaching of the teachers.